Sunday, January 9, 2011

An Intro to me....





When thinking of introductions some may think about occupational standings, degrees, social statuses, or to tell someone what you think they may want to hear about yourself. To me an introduction could include these, but why not dig deeper? An introduction should have any and all information to give someone a better understanding of who you are as a person. I was trying to think of aspects of my life that make me who I am; while reflecting on these things if found myself asking how others would introduce me to another. My brother Scott might say that I am selfish because I wouldn’t share my Tonka trucks with him when we were five, but most the people who truly know me understand I would give the shirt off my back to a friend in need. I have even scheduled a time to go rock climbing with a friend who really wanted to go, even though it meant I couldn’t do any climbing, but was only there to belay them. My parents would probably say I am a most wonderful son, but some may view me differently. My ex would most likely say I am a great cuddler and very respectful, when others may have seen a side of me while frustrated, upset, or defending myself or someone I am near and dear to. My rock climbing buddies would say I am always helpful, safety cautious, and a motivator, but they don’t know in some ways I myself need a lot of outside motivations and help, but no one person truly knows the complete picture.

My name is Greg Taylor, born and raised in Portland, Oregon. I am 26 years old. I work full time and go to school nearly full time. I like to write and am learning to love to read. I am known to all my friends as the outdoorsy guy. If I could grow a beard (which I can’t) my nickname would probably be Grizzly Adams. I am truly in love with the outdoors, from canoeing, to backpacking, to rock climbing, to anything. If it is outside I love it! Growing up I was always outside climbing trees, playing in bee’s nests, digging holes, and building forts in the woods near my house.

From a young age I played soccer; it was an outdoor sport that I could enjoy, but I freely gave it up when I got into scouting. I strapped my first backpack on when I was 12 years old, thrown on a trail to hike 50 miles, and found my first true love. I have backpacked all over the North-West, in southern Utah, and a little in Arizona. I haven’t yet made it to Europe, but one day I plan to. I did a lot of camping as a kid in scouting and with my family. I soon learned to master this trade, proficient in both “roughing it” and “luxurious” camping. I picked up a few tricks to really enjoying camp cooking and now I am an avid Dutch oven chef. Sometime I think my Dutch oven cooking is what draws people to come camping with me. Ribs, potatoes, pies, cinnamon rolls; if you can make it in your oven at home I bet you I can make it better with coals.

I started rock climbing a couple years ago, and now it is just the bee’s knees to me. Maybe it is the adrenaline, maybe it is the satisfaction of reaching the top or accomplishing something, who knows but I am in love. I will never be this good, but if I could do it all day everyday, eat, drink, and sleep climbing I would. Last year I went at least once a month. I even went in December when it felt like it was ten degrees outside; really it was twenty two degrees before wind chill. That is how crazy I am about rock climbing.

Additionally, I own a canoe, and even though I bought it as a way to have a rather inexpensive date activity ready at all times, I really do enjoy being on the water. This last year I took a trip into Canada with seven friends, to the Bowron Lakes National Park in Canada. We spent 8 days canoeing and backpacking the circuit there; 80 miles of paddling and I don’t even remember how many miles of backpacking while pushing and pulling our canoes mostly up hill.

When it comes right down to it, I am a regular good guy who cares about my friends. I’d give the shirt off my back to a friend in need. I’d fight to defend my friends. I enjoy hanging out with my friends. I struggle and succeed in many areas, while helping my friends with their struggles. I love the outdoors, but without my friends to enjoy it with it wouldn’t be the same. To sum me up in one sentence I’d say: “Outdoors plus friends and memories, what more do you need in life?”

1 comment: